Forum ID Password: Forget Password? |  Register
FAQ| Privacy Policy| Search| MemberList

Recent Topic
 RIP 121
 HERCUL is back so lets talk racing and...
HERCUL is back so lets talk racing and sport again.
 NBA 2013/14 tips & talk
 NBA Championship betting strategy
 (Solely my views & no doubt not those ...
(Solely my views & no doubt not those of many others?)
 Golden Easter Egg Semi Finals /Associa...
Golden Easter Egg Semi Finals /Association Cup heats
 weather geeks
 Eastern Conference v Western Conference
 Day 1 , 2 & 3 action inglis_sydney Eas...
Day 1 , 2 & 3 action inglis_sydney Easter Yearling sales
 2014 Easter Yearling Sale Newmarket ...
2014 Easter Yearling Sale Newmarket 8, 9, 10 April
 (Results) £1,000,000 Aintree Grand Nat...
(Results) £1,000,000 Aintree Grand National (Day)
 £1,000,000 Aintree Grand National
  Nathan Berry Tribute
 AFL Round1 2014
 Results/Replays DWC - Meydan Saturday ...
Results/Replays DWC - Meydan Saturday March 29
Popular Topic (By View)
 HERCUL is back so lets talk raci...
 RIP 121 171
Popular Topic (By Reply)
 HERCUL is back so lets talk raci...
 RIP 121 1
Home | Active Topics |

Worst ever bet - what's yours? Options
Cold Dog
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:07:19 AM
Barack Obama

In order to understand the sickness of this bet, you have to know the background.

Essentially I went into a crazed betting frenzy for a good 3 days. I barely slept and spent all of my time watching everything from tennis to cricket and finding good excuses to avoid human contact.

With good research, careful bankroll management and a dose of luck, I managed to amass a healthy £550 or so, which at the time I thought justified the depravity.

I decided that I'd withdraw the cash but then noticed Atlanta v Washington were "in play" with one inning to go. I was surprised to see the home team at $1.08 with a 3 run lead. This was value, surely? Why not sneak another 30 or so quid? A few walks and some wild pitches and the rest was history.

It was a moment of madness that I can't really explain.

Has anyone else placed some shockers, whether due to the amount or some other factor?
kidd05
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:28:21 AM
Tiger Woods

Too many to mention.

One that I can't forget though was when I put $500 or so against Lleyton Hewitt who was down 2 sets @ 1.40ish odds. Lleyton ended up winning of course.

Then there was $500 in 2006 on the Chicago White Sox who needed to win to clinch playoffs @ 1.40. They lost badly.. to the Pirates.
Poindexter
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:07:35 PM
Alain Prost

Back when I did a fair bit of spread betting on sports I sold bookings on this game:-

http://www.independent.c...neman-leeds-666562.html

I started spreadbetting with a £500 bank, built it up to £1300 or so over the course of 6 months.

The quote was very high (around 75) as their was a bit of history between the two clubs. The norm for bookings quotes are usually in the 40s so it was a very high quote which tempted me to sell for £5 a point. For those unfamiliar with the scoring system, its 10pts for a yellow card and 25 for a booking.

The match was volatile from the start with 4 yealow cards in the opening 18 minutes so I knew I was in trouble early. Midway thru the match there was a lull and the in-running quote began to fall. At one stage I could have bought back for a loss of just £15. Unfortunately I decided not to in the hope of nicking a few quid profit and the game looked to have quietened down and the players were behaving themselves- big mistake. In the final 10-15 minutes the players went mental again and started trying to kill each other. More bookings and 2 sendings off later I copped a loss of £350.

It was my biggest loss ever. It also marked the start of a bad run when my bank crashed quicker tha Lehman Brothers and all my hard work in the previous months was wiped out quickly.

Looking back now I do wonder what possessed me to sell bookings in a match with dirty bastards like Danny Mills, Lee Bowyer, Patrick Viera, Ray Parlour and Olivier Dacourt Rolling Eyes
Mite N Power
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:03:38 PM
Al Oerter

Very recent but still to this moment dont think it was a bad bet.

Melbourne storm at between 1.13 and 1.17 to win their semi-final at home against the warriors....never has team 8 beaten team 1 in 10 years and the storm invincible just about over the past 3 years particularly at olympic park..until last sunday week toilet the amount was big(7K),i had won about 80% of the dough only the previous wednesday at kalgoorlie races,trif,quartet and a good plonk on the winner and like you CD i intended to withdraw the money to pay for my syndicate share in a racehorse ,monies which were due around this time....but NO i wanted that extra 1000 odd bucks due to greed/stupidity or an equal combo of both Sad .....................

Sick

Winning isnt everything... ITS THE ONLY THING!!
carter_4
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:19:06 PM
Linghui Kong

the warriors are sick, iv learnt to never bet on or against them.. ever
gmoney
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:51:01 PM
Arnold Palmer

First Bills/Cowboys superbowl. I took a beating everyway possible you could bet the game, I did,and when all was said & done, I dropped about $3000.

It was not a fun day
Zayd
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:58:28 AM
Mike Tyson

All of them Sad
backsthedog
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:37:14 PM
Gary Kasparov

I laid chicago for best picture for a shed load - I was convinced it was much too short (1/6 I think)

swept the board...!
madkeencatsfanwa
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:24:07 PM
Mal Meninga

I once backed myself to never get married, I did and am now long since divorced... does that count???

Dunno

"All the time he's boxing, he's thinking. All the time he was thinking, I was hitting him." - Jack Dempsey
nivek48
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:22:10 PM
Alex Murphy

"madkeencatsfanwa"
I once backed myself to never get married, I did and am now long since divorced... does that count???

Dunno

I was thinking same mk Laughing

^^^^^^^**************************^^^^^^^
Kochie, KT, Ken, KO ... getting it right! #weareportadelaide
Slouch
#11 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 9:49:26 AM
Barack Obama

i made $400 yesterday arvo. on the nags
dropped the lot in an hour on the bloody panlickers last night.
four (4) placegetters Banghead
bloody muts! Fuming
bloody greed! Fuming