Forum ID Password: Forget Password? |  Register
FAQ| Privacy Policy| Search| MemberList

Recent Topic
 (Solely my views & no doubt not those ...
(Solely my views & no doubt not those of many others?)
 RIP 121
 NBA 2013/14 tips & talk
 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup
 Guy Walter Tribute
 The Dulcet Tones of Wayne Wilson
 Popeye Braggins / Allez Eagle
 NBA Championship betting strategy
 HERCULS LAYS OF THE DAY SO LETS GET RI...
HERCULS LAYS OF THE DAY SO LETS GET RICH TOGHETHER
 weather geeks
 HERCUL is back so lets talk racing and...
HERCUL is back so lets talk racing and sport again.
 Golden Easter Egg Semi Finals /Associa...
Golden Easter Egg Semi Finals /Association Cup heats
 Eastern Conference v Western Conference
 Day 1 , 2 & 3 action inglis_sydney Eas...
Day 1 , 2 & 3 action inglis_sydney Easter Yearling sales
 2014 Easter Yearling Sale Newmarket ...
2014 Easter Yearling Sale Newmarket 8, 9, 10 April
Popular Topic (By View)
Popular Topic (By Reply)
Home | Active Topics |

Nicolay Valuev: 7-foot tall Boxer, 44-0 record, any good? Options
Thumbboy
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2006 8:27:22 AM
Barack Obama

Fellow boxing fans, what do you know about this guy Nicolay Valuev?
I've seen some highlights from a few of his fights. A couple of them were of him knocking out bums with some decent body shots and head shots, and also saw one where he was getting absolutely pummeled with shots to the head and still couldn't be put down!

So from the looks of things he is a gigantic fighter, built like a caveman, he has deceptively fast hands for a man of his size, he had some ok skills but seemed like his main asset is his sheer size. One thing that I noticed was that he looks susceptible to a big looping right to the jaw and that if he was put in the ring with a talented fighter with punching power it would be the end of his winning streak.

He scored a mixed decision over fighter John Ruiz which I have read was a bit of a farce and that he should have lost on points in that fight. He is probably the most notable fighter that he has faced in his career.

So whilst, 44-0 with 32 KO's is an impressive record, on closer inspection it looks like many of his fights were against very easy competition to help pad his record. For example, Valuev's 20th fight as a pro was against a guy that was going into the ring for the very first time. Dunno

So anyway, have many of you guys seen much of him and if so what are your thoughts of the big man? Is he going to make some noise or will the only noise he makes be when he hits the canvass against a quality fighter?

For a look at his career fight record check this:
http://www.boxrec.com/bo...play.php?boxer_id=19904

To see a 4min clip of him in action try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTwS0buW2ss

Boxing Boxing Boxing
Baseballnut16
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:26:33 PM
Nigel Mansell

He's got some good talent. He started back in 1993. He's been great ever since. In 1997, he won 8 good fights. Nicolay has a great record and I imagine he could keep on going undefeated.

Goodbye Metrodome, hello Target Field!
Watford
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:34:04 PM
Paolo Rossi

Sid the Hat's your man for boxing knowledge but personally I wouldn't pay to watch this guy - he is just a huge bloke who can hit hard and take shots...

Dunno
Thumbboy
#4 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2006 12:21:57 PM
Barack Obama

"Baseballnut16"
He's got some good talent. He started back in 1993. He's been great ever since. In 1997, he won 8 good fights. Nicolay has a great record and I imagine he could keep on going undefeated.

Oh ok cool, I was hoping to hear from someone that had actually seen what he can do and have more info on him than I am basing my opinions on. So can I ask, do you think that the quality of fighters he has faced has made him look good or is he someone that will continue to win as he faces some of the better heavyweights as well?

My belief (based on what I have seen) is that he is fortunate to be fighting in a time where there is a real lack of quality heavyweights. Lennox Lewis would have picked him apart, Tyson would have rocked him senseless.
The current heavyweight fighters all seem to be beatable on their day really. So you're probably right there, Valuev in the current boxing scene may continue to win. He's a very big guy, can take a punch so I'd give him a fighting chance against most other boxers out there.